Thursday, January 31, 2013

I'm not looking perfection; I'm looking for an internally consistent fantasy


Max Beerbohm (by way of Sargent) says:

                              So this is Utopia,
                                             Is it? Well –
                              I beg your pardon;
                                             I thought it was Hell.

Beerbohm does not appear to have been a fan of utopianism. I admit that I am with Beerbohm on this one and tend to view other people’s utopian ideas with a little suspicion. For example, in today’s Washington Post (Knuckle) there was an article outlining the consequences to Virginia’s plan to sterilize “defective” people under a 1924 law “whose aim was to build a more perfect society.” The plan was based on concepts about eugenics and was the same set of ideas that led to the horrors of Nazi Germany.  One person’s utopia was, in this case, another’s hell. With this in mind, I am conscious that whatever I write in this blog about making the world a better place may well turn out to be someone else’s nightmare. There is no possibility of creating a perfect utopia that will accommodate everyone.

However, Sargent (1994) insists that utopia should not be equated with perfection. To qualify as a utopia, according the Sargent (1994), the author has to intend, and perhaps contemporary readers agree, that creating the utopia proposed would be better than the society they lived in at the time.  I would like to think of utopia as a thought experiment rather than an actual desire to change society into what I would consider to be better.

With this in mind: in my utopia, everyone who worked would be paid exactly $75,000 per year. I’ve heard this is the optimum amount a person needs to be happy with his or her life (Luscombe). I perceive there to be several benefits that would outweigh the negatives to this scheme:
1.      People may enter professions, begin careers or jobs they may not have considered because of the pay available;
2.      The gender pay gap would be eliminated, as would the idea of ‘female professions’ and ‘male dominated industry’; and
3.      The class divide may flatten out and the gap between rich and poor narrow (though it would not be eliminated).
Everyone would not live happily ever after. Perfection was not the goal. But my intent for this radical idea is that it would make a society better than the one we have today.




Works cited:

Knuckle, Frederick. “Va. eugenics victims would receive compensation for sterilization under bill.” Washington Post 30 Jan 2013. Web.

Luscomb, Belinda. “Do We Need $75,000 a Year to Be Happy?” Time Magazine 6 Sep 2010. Web.

Sargent, Lyman Tower. “The Three Faces of Utopianism Revisited.” Utopian Studies 5.1 (1994): 1-37. Web.

6 comments:

  1. I think the world would be a better place if money wasn't such a huge focus for everyone. How often do we hear that our choices will leave us poor? Honestly I would rather be poor, living in a box but happy with my choices in life and what I do with my time than living in a mansion miserable anyway. Life isn't about the value of your car, it is about the value of your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the way that you approached this issue. Your plan to make the world a better place seems like you have actually thought it well. I want to play devil's advocate for you but I'm having trouble finding a rebuttle so good work on explaining why this would help make the world better,and the idea about how one person's utopia could be another persons hell was a nice way to incoorporate the possible dangers of utopian thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gwen. I think the $75,000 per worker per year is a good idea but perhaps someone earning a lot more than that (think LeBron James, who recently mentioned he was being underpaid by the Heat at $17.5 million + around $40 million in endorsements) might not like the idea so much.

      Another example might be doctors. Being trained as a doctor takes a lot of time and money but the trade-off is that they apparently earn big dollars later down the track. And where would the incentive be for anyone to take on those hard jobs if they wouldn't be compensated for it? Personally, I would work in the Oreo factory for $75,000 a year but might not want to go to school to become a teacher.

      However, it would be an interesting experiment to try in real life, just to see how it would change people's life choices.

      Delete
  3. Much of me loves this plan, I confess.

    Would workers face deductions for not doing a thorough job (ie if your boss catches you spending 10 hours a week playing Bejeweled or something)? Or am I being too capitalist here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only in a perfect utopia would you not get fired for playing Bejeweled 10 hours a week.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete