Monday, February 25, 2013

How I Compare: 40%

In the spirit of being a college student, I decided to give myself a test. Chapter 4 of the Rule of St. Benedict is a comprehensive list of ways that monks should live by. I went through the list to see which rules I apply to my daily life (for the greater part, obviously I am going to have some slip-ups) and I found that I exhibit a meager 29 of 72 traits. There are easy ones, like not committing murder or adultery, but other ones are a lot more vague. 

It was quite eye-opening to go through the list and see the things that I do not do in my life, but that I should work harder to. Number 9 is the golden rule of treating others how you wish to be treated yourself. In face-to-face contact I definitely abide by this rule, but when I am engaging in a guilty pleasure of gossiping, I am most definitely going against this rule. In my defense, I do not engage in as harmful talks as others I know do, but I surely need to work on speaking only positively of others. Even if someone has wronged me or made me upset, what am I really going to gain from griping about it? 

Being a stranger to the world's ways, à la #20, would seem to be not only not helpful, but actually a disadvantage in this day and age. So much of our daily lives revolves around knowing what is happening in the world. One needs to be educated about other cultures so they do not offend and can understand customs different than their own. One needs to know basics of world goings on so that one can make an informed decision when time comes to vote. Now that I am 20 years old, I should retire my ways of voting for local officeholders by whoever has the coolest/most unusual name. Yes, I admitted it and you should too. I mean, who really knows about who they are voting for to be on the board of education? 

Number 27: Not to swear. Need I say more?

"But to recognize always that evil is one's own doing, and to impute it to oneself." This is one of the rules that I actually do follow in my daily life and I must admit that I have a problem with it. I seem to follow this rule too closely, and it is at a cost, I must say. First off, in most cases, not everything bad that happens to someone is his/her fault. Certainly that's the case with me. However, I do not recognize that bad things happen to me because of other people or just a random act of fate. I place so much blame on myself that I suffer undue amounts of stress-stress that I would not wish on anyone else. Therefore, I think that St. Benedict would benefit from switching this rule up a bit to account for random happenings and error of others. People can't go around beating themselves up for every little thing that goes wrong in their day! There would simply be no time for any enjoyment in life. 

To wrap things up, I would say that St. Benedict would excommunicate me from his little monastery. Well, that is if I even chose to go there in the first place. Which I wouldn't. Brown wool cloaks don't really tickle my fancy. 


5 comments:

  1. I dunno, I think you could make the cloak work. But seriously, I had a big problem with the "bad things are always your fault" rule too, especially when combined with the "Good things are *never* a result of your own doing" rule. It seems way too harsh and unhappy. I don't see how constantly beating oneself up is good for individual *or* communal happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what you've done with this list is a great idea. You've suddenly got me really interested to see how well I measure up to the Rule.

    I'm kind of half-and-half on the "bad things are your fault, but good things are God" rule. I think it's fair to say that many bad things that happen to a person can be related to one of his or her vices, but not all of them (not even the majority of them), so acknowledging this rule to a certain extent wouldn't hurt. Of course, you would have to be really careful doing this. I can speak from experience when I say that thinking this too much leads to depression, bitterness, and self-loathing, which I'm sure you can imagine are totally counterproductive.

    At the same time, I know that we sometimes do some really great stuff, but I don't think it hurts to acknowledge a little Divine Aid when they happen.

    Good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how you looked at the rules from a point of view in which you could relate it to yourself. I just thought of all of the things that I couldn't do so this was a different way of looking at things I liked that

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too really liked measuring yourself with the 61 rules. I decided to give it a try myself. I personally really like the monastic lifestyle (I'm a quiet person by heart who doesn't particularly need everything worldly), so let's see how I do.

    Of the 61 instruments of good works, I am able to perform, as of now, 33 of them. That includes the "no-brainers," such as no murdering, stealing, adultery, and so on. I am also able to follow, for example, #53: "Not to love much talking." Although I am certainly not one of the people who NEVER talk, or who NEVER participate in class, I am one who does not like to be hogging all of the attention, and thus taking it away from another. I'm not that person who answers every single question a professor may ask in class.

    With minimal work and improvement I am able to follow an additional 22 rules. These rules include, for example, not to be lazy (# 38), and not to hold a grudge against another (# 23). These rules I can easily follow once I actually enter the monastery. However, as I am still a layman and living in the world, it is difficult at this time.

    The remaining 6 rules are more difficult for me.For example, "to love fasting" (# 13) is quite difficult. I am able to fast, of course; today (a Lenten Friday) is evidence for that. However, it is more difficult for me to actually ENJOY the sacrificial act. These rules would take more work and more self-exploring.

    So, when actually entering a monastery, I believe I could successfully follow 55 of the 61 rules. Not bad at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you tested yourself on the 72 rules of St. Benedict! While reading them, I found myself agreeing - or connecting - with many of them. Now, however, I want to go and grab my print out and see how I measure up!

    Your issue with evil things always being one's own fault was similar to mine. I too think when bad things happen to me, it's most likely always my fault, and stress beyond reason about it. Maybe it is because I believe too much in Karma and I believe myself to be a good person, and therefore the bad things unjustified.

    I really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete