Friday, March 22, 2013

I Am Me


Herland is by far my favorite reading we’ve been assigned all semester.  Perhaps it’s the three fold perspective given to the reader or the fact that it is simply a revolutionary piece for its time; but either way, I enjoyed it. 

It’s never easy for me to be able to pinpoint my favorite line or scene in a book, but for Herland there is no question.  In chapter nine (page 88), when Van speaks about the “perfect system of child-rearing,” he makes a very important observation, one that changes the meaning of the book entirely.

“It was all theirs, waiting for them to learn, to love, to use, to serve; as our own little boys plan to be ‘a big soldier,’ or ‘a cowboy,’ or whatever pleases their fancy; and our little girls plan for the kind of home they mean to have, or how many children; these [Herland children] planned, freely and gaily with much happy chattering, of what they would do for the country when they were grown.

It was the eager happiness of the children and the young people which first made me see the folly of that common notion of ours…”

This one passage is what changed the whole course of the novel for me.  Herland isn’t simply the idea of an all-woman society.  It goes so much deeper than that; challenging the reader to think about our society and the way in which we assign gender roles. 

It’s so easy for us to look back at our childhood and see the blatant significance of gender in our daily lives.  In kindergarten, the boys would be off running around the playground imagining themselves to be cops, cowboys, Indians, pirates, anything that showed itself to have a masculine identity.  The girls would then be off cradling their baby dolls, playing house or dress up, fighting over who gets to play the mother role, essentially preparing themselves for a future responsibility that they think they must conform to. 

Our society has made gender such an apparent obsession, that we begin to lose sight of who we are as people in the midst of conformity.  That is exactly the point that Charlotte Perkins Gilman is trying to make.
In a society comprised of only women, the children aren’t faced with the assignment of gender roles.  Instead they grow up with the encouraged principle that they are all simply people, not women.  Instead of playing house, they play games that spark independent thinking and inspire them to be whoever they want to be and to strive to one day make a difference in their country.


It is a revolutionary thought for its time, a thought that Gilman wanted to plant in her reader’s head.  Herland isn’t considered Utopian because it’s run by women.  It’s Utopian because Herland citizens are freed from a gender role that has forced women into submission for centuries.  Herland is Gilman’s demand for change in America.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kerri,

    Thanks for your comments on Herland. I like how you summarised the role of gender in society. I also enjoyed reading Herland and thinking about an alternate gender role universe. It would be amazing to be a *person* instead of a girl/woman/female. Maybe sometimes others, including men, feel like that too. I can't even imagine what it might be like in real life to be a person instead of a gender.

    I remember this Canadian couple called their child 'Storm' and refused to disclose its gender. This highly personal decision upset a lot of people! Gender underlies the very fabric of our society in ways we cannot even see, so I guess it's quite confronting to not know a child's gender - after all, how would we know how to treat said child??
    (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/genderless-baby-controversy-mom-defends-choice-reveal-sex/story?id=13718047#.UUy0hnc4c25)

    Your post inspired me this week. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love what you got out of this novel and it makes me think a lot about my childhood. I like to believe that I was open to explore what interests I wanted to, not what society told me to. However, my grandparents watched my during the day and before and after school until 3rd grade, so I was brought up in a very traditional sense of what a girl should be. I was always brought in to learn how to cook with my grandmother. Today, I love cooking because of the creativity I can put into it and the pleasure I get from seeing others enjoy what I have made. I wonder if I would have the same love of cooking today if I had grown up in a less traditional household, where I was encouraged to make mud pies and play football with the other kids.

    ReplyDelete