Monday, April 29, 2013

A Word on my Personal Utopia and a Public Apology

First of all, if you haven't noticed from my blog posts I am a "cup half full" kind of girl. I believe in the good in people and the world and genuinely think that love and compassion can go a long way in making a better place for us all to live. I try my best to be a good person and do good things and to not be offensive. I also have a dark cynical sarcastic side but I try to keep it contained. Not to say that I don't feed it every once and a while. Regardless, it was brought to my attention after class today, in an extremely inappropriate manner, that I may have offended some people with a comment that I made during our discussion. I just want to be clear and open and honest and set the record straight that my intention is never to be rude or disrespectful or to hurt anyone's feelings. And I am not exaggerating when I say that I think that people with good intentions who make even small steps or small sacrifices towards any positive outcome can make a difference in our world. Therefore I would not want to do anything to negate that ideal. I know that words can hurt and I am not in the business of hurting others.

3 comments:

  1. I cannot think of what you may have said that sounded offensive. I think that everyone in the class states their own opinions, and that is all that it is. There are things that I have not agreed with, but that is part of the class. We are here to learn from one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be clear to EVERYONE. Class is a place where we work through our ideas. It is a place where we are allowed - and expected - to express ourselves. Especially in a class like this one, where we are discussing lots of big ideas, that means that there will be times when we disagree and times when we are bothered by what others say.

    Every one of us deserves to speak our own mind. If someone says something that upsets you, then by all means address it. But do so in class, as part of the discussion. Treat that person as you would want to be treated. That is the only way to keep the classroom a safe place for everyone's ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that the manner in which you were approached was slightly odd (stairwells are a small space). I also can be extremely sarcastic and cynical I believe that if there was an issue it should have been open for discussion in class. I personally didn't take offense to anything you said. The points you made caused me change several ideas that I had and try to look at things differently but nothing seemed that far out from what everyone else was saying.

    ReplyDelete