Monday, April 29, 2013

And so begins the last minute blogging...

I know I aught to be ashamed but I am a college student...so yeah. Nope.

So to begin this saga we shall start with Brave New World. I don't actually have the book with me right now but that's because I gave it to my friend Pablo Con Carne to read. I thought it was a book to share...but that probably makes me a bad friend. And here are the reasons why:


  1. It starts with a tour of where human's are mass produced. And not in the creepy mad scientist way but in the innovative way. We are proud that this happened and that we could have progressed this far. To be fair, I'm kind of okay with this. I'm not okay with the classical training and mass production of the same genes thing but the idea of having a baby without a human vessel is pretty cool. Like...it'd be cool to watch a human form but that's really the only appeal I see.
  2. The fact that this society judges people by who they are and not what they do is really sad. It's super sad because we do that now. I mean, it's true that we don't manufacture human beings but we assume things based off of what people look like and their biological...ness. It's a sack of crap.
  3. The book ends in suicide. And it ends in the kind of suicide that just affirms my definition of suicide. I define suicide as societal murder; the pressures of society and the failings of society pushed a person to feeling like they couldn't exist. I know this isn't applicable to all suicides but I think that it's a big player. 
  4. So I think one of my biggest beefs is that there is a consciousness of the higher ups about what is happening. They are aware of how crap this society is and that their drugging the population into compliance. They are forsaking future developments and progress in anything to keep this utopia. I...Ju...The....NO. NO! THAT SUCKS AND IT'S STUPID.
Anyway, I hope Pablo enjoys this book as much as I did. While I did nothing but complain for this entire blog post I am a fan of this book and how it was written. I thought the moments when we were jumping from person to person were awesome. The deep seated passion and anger in these characters was freaking great. 

This post was brought to you by the number 404. Also, by Catbug.

1 comment:

  1. You should take a sociology course instead of psychology if you get a chance. The class explores the idea of social structure, and explains why society (as you've inferred) pushes individuals away from the world to the point where they feel as if they can't exist. Interestingly, suicide rates are highest at the high ends and low ends of social recognition ladder .. meaning that societies with complete communality have high suicide rates, and societies with isolationism also have high rates.

    ReplyDelete