Friday, April 19, 2013

Gene Games

If you were given the chance would you change your child's genes? What if you knew for a fact that they would suffer from a genetic disease that couldn't be cured or even effectively treated? I remember watching this movie back in high school and I asked my Grandmother this question. My Grandmother had 7 children, only 5 are currently alive. Two of them died from Cystic Fibrosis before the age of 5. Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease that affects the lungs, liver, pancreas, and intestines of the sufferer and there is no cure. Today there are many more options and treatment methods then there were when my Aunt and Uncle were alive. My Grandmother recalled having to stand by on many occasions watching her children suffering and slowing dying unable to do anything.

I asked her if she had been given the chance to change their genetic make up would she have taken it. She simply replied no. I pressed her and asked her for more information and she told me it part of "God's plan" for her life and her other children's lives. I tried again asking her to remove the God factor and she again said no, we have to learn to deal with the cards we are dealt in life and make the best of our situation. It made me think if I was given the chance to change the genes of my children would I? Would I remove all health risk factors and specify their looks? I probably would. I have watched several other families dealing with children affected by CF and I asked them the same question, would you chance it? They say yes...but also no. They love their children and don't want to see them suffer and die but no because of how much they have learned and changed from having a CF child. I even asked one families daughter who has CF what she would do. She said she hates that so many people suffer but no she wouldn't change it. She is an amazing child and has used everything in her life to its' fullest advantage. She doesn't pity herself or take her time for granted.

I don't know what I would do if I was given the chance to change genes. It is something that, like Vincent's parents, you have to be in that situation to decide. Times are changing and it is possible that sometimes in the future that Gene play could be possible.

3 comments:

  1. Brigid, I agree that this is a terribly difficult idea to debate. It's scary to be completely honest with yourself with these kinds of circumstances and to question what choice you would make. Obviously both options have their pros and cons. Personally, I would just prefer not having to make a decision like that at all. I suppose I would take the God way out as many people would say. But then again, who really knows what I would do until I am confronted with the particular situation. These topics in part become a portion of the "ugly" side of utopia that I have mentioned before. The difficult decisions or actions that must be made that are usually kept behind the scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is difficult. Ideals are usually easy, but it becomes a lot harder when the question is "What if you could make it so your child didn't suffer?" These last few utopias, Gattaca seem like they exist in a grey space. There aren't a lot of right answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole changing genes for the betterment of a person is quite a tricky subject to endeavor in. While watching this film, I could not help but to flashback to my current works as a certified I.E.I. (Intensive Early Intervention) therapist technician specialized in the field of Autism. On a daily basis, I see my client's parents (I perform in-home/clinical therapies for children diagnosed with ASD'S), struggle while trying to cope with the constant stress and strains derived from the maladaptive behaviors that accompany this relatively unknown disorder. While working in the Mental Health field, with various disorders, countertransference of feelings are real, and it is hard not to put yourself in your "Client's shoes", and with that being said, I could not help to think of all the intense conversations, along with the dire pain I see in the eyes of the parents of my clients when their children have to constantly battle with their disorders. I too asked myself, "Would any of my clients every change the genetic makeup of their children if the opportunity arouse", and to that I would have to say no. Disorders such as Autism oftentimes accompany extreme heartache and pain (especially when it involves children)for all those involved, but still I am inclined to say that throughout my years of working and studying in the Mental Health field, no matter how maladaptive the behaviors of a diagnosis are, I have seen more clients accept the fact that their road may be hard traveled, and despite that, just do the best they can to maintain throughout all. I call it accepting ones destiny or fate, other's may call it dealing with the cards they were dealt. Either way, I believe that life is a journey, and how one manages through that journey defines them both internally and externally.

    ReplyDelete