Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"Muuuurdeeerr"


What the what?! Minority Report was…I don’t even know.  Mind blowing? I guess that’s an appropriate phrase to use.  I persuaded my boyfriend to watch this movie with me, and from the second it started we kept looking at each other like, “what is going on? I’m so confused.”

The thing about this movie that impressed me the most was the whole concept of Pre-crime.  The concept and the execution of the entire operation was fascinating.  The concept of Pre-Cogs is what blew my mind the most.  Up until the second half of the movie, I had no idea what those human-like creatures lying in a weird pool were all about.  Once it was explained that the Pre-Cogs could see the future, things definitely started to become clearer.

I found the overall approach to the film extremely interesting as well.  This isn't a utopian film per say, it’s more of a dystopia that is trying its hardest to become a utopia.  It shows the social dreaming aspect, and control, and eventually the downfall of this potential society.  It’s a utopia in the making that failed to succeed.

At the beginning of the movie, I was convinced that this futuristic Maryland/D.C. was relatively normal and 
similar to how we live today.  The houses and the people looked pretty normal.  But the farther along into the movie, things began to look more futuristic.  The cars, the buildings, and the technology all began to show how futuristic the society really is. 

It’s obvious that people in this society use technology to control the world, people, and the future.  I don’t know how I feel about this idea.  Yes, they are preventing murders from happening, but they are also meddling with a person’s fate.  It’s sort of entering a moral grey area, but it’s a valid thing to take into consideration. 

Adding to this point, I thought it was interesting that religion (Christianity to be exact) still exists in this society.  How can someone support Pre-crime while believing that God is the ultimate controller of fate?  This seemed incredibly odd to me.

While watching the scene when John (Tom Cruise) goes to the “jail” to investigate the murder of Anne Lively, I couldn’t help but notice that the jail looked really similar to the Panopticon that Dr. Mitchell-Buck showed us in class.  I guess it would be a useful setup, having the guards stationed in the middle of the room to make it easier to watch the (coma-induced?) prisoners. 




Overall, Minority Report was a pretty disturbingly awesome movie that rendered me mentally and emotionally exhausted by the end.  

6 comments:

  1. Is it just me or does Tom Cruse play the same person in every movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually, only since this movie. Before this, he actually played a few different characters!

      Delete
  2. Nope not just you, he totally does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerri, I think that the panopticon has a lot to do with this film, and the realization of it in the precrime prison is definitely significant! After all, in this universe, Big Brother isn't just watching what you actually do, but what you are (theoretically) going to do! Terrifying indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too thought this film was very intense and action packed in many ways. Pre-cogs predicting what someone will do in the future seems a bit over the top for me, but for the sake of this just being a movie, I thought it was cool. Future predictions remind me of tarot card readers, who say they can look at either cards, or a magical ball and see one's future and destiny. Needless to say, I don't subscribe to that notion. Also, some of the more "Outdated" prisons in America do have guards located within the middle of a block or unit, and this was done to potentially give a better view of inmates, along with inmate activities, while some of the more modern prison facilities in America utilize video monitoring techniques so that what is taking place at the prison will be recorded, and possibly used as evidence against both inmates and guards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree. I think that it was so strange how these people were thought to be Christians, but then again they were playing God. This entire movie was strange and made me wonder what the hell was happening most of the time anyway.

    ReplyDelete