Monday, April 8, 2013

My Thoughts About Brave New World

I have to first say that I did enjoy reading this book. Mainly because I like science-fiction type literature...or more likely science-fiction type movies. In any case, this book really wasn't something I took to heart. Yes, Huxley was trying to show his opinion of our future, but it doesn't appall me like some others in our class. To me, it is a piece of literature that someone created in order to make a good read. I do not necessarily take his words literally or feel offended in any way.

 That begin said, I do think that what he imagined happening has begun to happen in our society. The one thing that seemed to be most shocking was the idea of people being created in test tubes. I think that this is unfortunately very possible in our future. We already have people who are conceiving other people’s children and same sex couples having genetic-linked children through surrogates and donors. This is a huge political and ethical debate, which I am not going to get into. However, with technology and 'great' advances come some serious consequences and side effects. To me this is a great idea to help those that need it, but it is not a natural way. Things are bound to go wrong. We also have scientist working hard to clone animals. How long until they begin to clone people? What is going on now was not heard of one-hundred years ago... what will happen to our scientific and medical advances in another one-hundred years?
 The book also is full of characters that constantly run away from their problems and the truth. They use soma to escape the reality in which they live. This has become America to perfection. Everywhere you look people are getting surgeries to look or feel better, without having to do the 'hard work', or they are taking drugs or drinking alcohol to escape from their troubles. This is something I'm sure Huxley saw first-hand at the time he wrote this book, but it continues today and at an even higher rate. There are more pressures in our society to be the best, to be perfect, and to be better than the next person that sometimes people cannot keep up and are consumed with the 'soma' of their choice.
This book also touches on the thought that a government that controls everything is a slippery slope. If you ask me, that is exactly what our government wants here. They want complete control over everything, even though they already have much control. Is there any way to escape this? At times I feel like we are all living in a world that is someone else's utopia. We are all working hard every day, following the rules of the government, and having the privileges to the America life... but at what cost? Don't get me wrong I love living here in America. Lately, though it seems like freedom is a distant piece of our past as the government tightens its reins on us.

I also liked how Huxley brought John into the book. Here was a person who was unlike anything the society had seen before. He was a breath of fresh air, someone who made them think if there was something more than what they had. Many people in today’s society often question this same thing. Is there something more than what I have here? Is there life on another planet? Are there better opportunities for me in other places of the world? There is always that inner nagging question of bettering oneself. I think that it is human nature. Even in a utopia people are bound to search for more.
I think that I am pretty content with the life that I have. Although I do question the government and some of the radical ideas that are being presented with the technological advances, I am willing to hear about it and learn about it.
I think this book was unique and interesting, but I did not take it to heart. It is after all… fiction.

Word count: 680

No comments:

Post a Comment