Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly


This post is a little after the fact, but after reading through some of the past blogs, I came upon one that really struck a chord with me.  It was about Brave New World and the effect that technology had on their society.  They had made some pretty drastic advances in technology, but was it worth it? Did it really create a society that was worth living in?

In Brave New World, technology had taken over the society and was driving the human population.  The most notable technological advance was their ultimate control over the humans being brought into the word.  Growing the people in test tubes and then brainwashing them from the second they are “born” to be submissive to the government is the greatest feat of science that I’ve ever heard of.  Having the capability to control that many people is remarkably scary.

I honestly can’t think of one instance in which science and technology have been used for good in this book.  Sure, everyone is happy and healthy, but that is by Mustapha Mond’s terms.  They are humans who are living nonhuman lives, and both Bernard and John make that known to us.  Technology has ruined their lives, whether they truly know it or not.

So has technology ruined the world we live in?

There are obviously two sides to this answer.  I think everyone can agree that our technological advances have helped our society a lot.  We can connect with people from all over the world with just a click of a button and travel with ease to almost anywhere.

But the negative, at least in everyday life, seem to outweigh the positive.  Cell phones, iPods, and computers have completely engulfed our society, especially our generation.  These devices are great, but to an extent.  I see people walking down the street and running into things because they are so concentrated on their phone.  Suddenly, Facebook statuses have become more important than homework and Snapchatting a picture of your lunch is more important than talking to the friend sitting across from you.

I’m a server at a restaurant, and one of my biggest pet peeves is cell phones.  I will walk up to a table, and instead of my customers enjoying each other’s company with lively conversation, they are ALL staring at their cell phones. COME ON, PEOPLE!  You made a point to go to a restaurant with your family or friends; you could at least talk to them.  Is that so hard?


When technology starts to become an impediment to our interactions with others, then you know you’ve got a problem.

It’s gotten to the point where technology has begun to make us somewhat inhuman in our lack of social skills.  We could very well be on the fast track to becoming just like Huxley’s fictional society.  Technology is slowly making us humans who live nonhuman lives. 

Now that’s something to tweet about.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot you said, Kerri. You especially hit the nail on the head of the pro/cons of technology (especially regarding communication).

    Maybe it is the doomsayer in me that's saying this, but I truly believe that generation after us will be so engulfed in technology that they will lose the ability to be patient. It'll be so fast that they will always want their instant gratification fulfilled.

    We can kind of see this in our own generation. For example, for those who have high speed internet, are we able to go back to dial-up? If I suddenly had to switch to slow internet, I would go insane - it'll be TOO slow for me.

    At least we've experienced dial-up connection, if only a little bit (my family got high speed internet at around 13 or so). So we know what slow speed internet is like, at least. But the next generation? I don't think they'll ever be able to adapt. This applies not only to the internet, but streaming movies (like Netflix), ordering things online, and so on.

    Yes, they are all tremendously helpful (and I thank God for this technology at times!), and made life much easier, but is it ultimately worth it? Are our children going to be irreparably spoiled?

    Just a small thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, Kerri! I love the points you bring up about technology.

    The cell phone thing is a pet peeve of mine, too. It drives me crazy when I sit in a restaurant and see other people on their phones instead of talking to the people around them. Kids in my neighborhood would chat over Skype instead of going the thirty feet outside to talk to each other.

    Heck, the whole "laziness and dehumanizing" thing has hit even me! I used to be able to communicate electronically without emoticons, but now I find myself using them all the time! I can't even remember how I lived without the convenience of a cell phone.

    It looks like we've got a very bleak situation up ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that the daily uses of technology has a list of pros and cons and that the cons outweigh the pros. I am a server as well and have the same pet peeve. But not only that they'll be talking on their phones ignoring each other, but also ignoring me as I am trying to provide service. (It irks me the most when they act like I am bothering them, interrupting their phone conversation).

    I completely agree that future children will be unable to communicate effectively and intelligently. Many times I have seen papers and heard stories from instructors about students using online language to write - and then do not pick up their errors.

    I have taken week long breaks from my cellphone, facebook, twitter, etc. I would have my cell phone on me for emergencies or if my work, parents, etc. needed me but I wouldn't use it otherwise. Its when I begin to feel to dependent on it that I take a break and I believe kids these days should do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right! I can't stand when I am out with my friends and family how after about five minutes we are all looking at our phones, checking our emails or using social networking. Um I came to hang out with you not you and your cell phone. I am guilty of this as well. I would rather text my parents then take the 2 minutes to call them. I do find technology helpful though. My best friend lives in France but is currently studying in Albany, NY. I can only talk to her and her family through Skype. So while technology seems to have taken over there are some benefits but the reliance on technology seems to be a little much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also agree with you. I have actually been in a restaurant and saw an awful sight. A father was with his two young girls, maybe seven and ten. They were ALL three on electronics. The father and the oldest daughter were on cell phones and the youngest on an ipad. What the hell?! They had to wait seriously like ten minutes to get their dinner, and couldn’t even sit and talk during that time. Why even go out to dinner? I even said to my boyfriend, no wonder a lot of kids go crazy. They have no parental guidance, and even when they do it’s not the greatest. Maybe I’m just an old-fashioned kind of parent. When we go out anywhere my daughter and I sit and talk, or she colors while we wait for our meal. Even at home she doesn’t watch TV that much and I don’t have an ipad. She does have a computer game, but it’s educational. I think technology is great, but used moderately. Already we are seeing kids forgetting how to spell and shortcutting words, due to texting. I know I even do it sometimes. This is directly related to technology! It’s great to text, but what is it teaching our future generations? I’m not singling out texting, I’m saying technology in general.

    ReplyDelete