Thursday, April 25, 2013

Under Constant Surveillance : 1984 and Beyond



   If I was Winston, and had to experience what he experienced through the watchful eyes of Big Brother, or in modern times the United States government, I myself most likely would be considered rebellious, simply for the fact that I have my own mind, and I refuse to have it oppressed by oppressive forces. After seeing how Big Brother’s control had to some degree dimed Winston’s will for individualism, it is clear to me that surveillance can be another powerful form of oppression.  

 

Not ever being at peace with one’s thoughts for fear of having those thoughts used against you would surely be terrifying. Let consider the following. Imagine how many times you have had a thought, or notion about someone, or something that was better kept to yourself, now imaging those same thoughts being watched over by someone, or something that you have no knowledge of. Would you even want to have the capability of thought anymore? Privacy should be granted to everyone as a human right. Constant surveillance for every single action that a person does, or thinks, I feel would drive a person mad.



 

  
While it is true that much of our lives are being watched over through various sources such as; cameras, the internet, and other people, I still feel that ones thoughts, especially the kind that are better unsaid should be granted as a protected right for everyone to keep private if they so choose.   

6 comments:

  1. Images provided by google images
    www.google/images.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's hard to tell, to be honest. Some people are perfectly happy being watched, because they would value their personal safety (assuming that the government's intent) over their personal freedom. I've heard people say whenever someone protests a new law or measure (such as wiretapping without a warrant): "Well, don't do anything suspicious!" Of course, the whole definition of "suspicious" can become a slippery slope on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, the whole concept of being watched all depends on the person, just as so much that we have covered in this course. What is so "Iffy", about this concept in modern times is the question of who would be watched, and for what reasons. There are always two sides to a story, and for that reason alone, I completely agree that some may not mind constant surveillance, while others may.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being watched by the government these days is a bit of an unsettling thought, but when you think about all of the ways that our previously studied Utopias have monitored their citizens, we have it pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am one of the people that do not mind having my e-mail read, my phone conversations recorded, etc, because I do not really do anything wrong that would incriminate me. But the idea of someone watching me through cameras and stuff entering the thoughts in my head is terrifying just because those are personal, even though innocent. So we have it sooooo much better than those in Oceania.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On an aside, I don't really think that it's unreasonable for the US government to need some form of surveillance. Do I think the government is getting to the point in 1984? No, there would be riots. But, being a superpower in the world, it needs to keep track of suspicious persons.

    ReplyDelete