Saturday, March 2, 2013

Something is Missing...?

Something that has bothered me since we began reading our utopian works has been the lack of talk or interest in the social life of Utopia. So far it has been praise and work, work and praise...what about personal relationships?

Maybe I find this so problematic because our society puts so much emphasis on being social and having relationships...I'm not sure, but it's a part that is lacking for me. I see that there is religion, there is family, the is marriage, etc but what about friendship or a good relationship with each other? Are our good actions More talks about suppose to be what makes a a good relationship with someone?

St. Benedict made every thing very intrapersonal, More had everything general about the society and important relationships such as husband and wife, but even then there were no feelings mentioned. Well, except, “in the choice of mate, which may cause delight or disgust for the rest of their lives, people are completely careless” because they are not seeing the entire package. What about marrying someone for who they are, not what they look like? (Before people start harping, I do understand that these are different times and marriage practices are much different). Peoples feelings are not really taken into consideration, except for fear or pleasure (which is connected to happiness).

Feelings are personal and identify with the individual which most of the works tend to take away when describing utopia: the removal of individuality. If there was one issue I found in all the works, I find this to be the most irritating. I want to do me, for me. I want to make me, my family, and my friends happy. I want to connect with them, be more for them than a neighbor or “daughter”.

Again, maybe it's because the works are looking more at society, but if they ignore feelings and individuality then they are ignoring a part of society that can lead to corruption. In utopia do people not have these feelings? Do they not desire to be extremely close? I just do not know and this I find frustrating because I want to know what these authors think of the issue.

In other utopian or dystopian novels I have read, the main characters connected with their feelings and individuality and had to leave the “utopian” societies. This may be the reason why I find this to be such an important aspect for me.

Word Count: 411

5 comments:

  1. I empathize in your feeling a lack of emphasis on relationships. I think that most of the works that we have read seem to only focus on the type of relationships that may be beneficial to not only the individual but also the community as a whole. I also think that perhaps when we consider our dislike of this shortcoming, we must think of Dr. MB asking us if "we don't like it because of our modern sensibilities." Personally, I think that regardless of the time period that strong relationships are always imperative to living a happy and healthy life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am so glad that someone finally put this out there! Personal relationships are absent from a lot of what we have read. And if they are mentioned it is the classic "family unit" but even that idea of "family" can be pulled apart if something is better for the whole community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, this is a very good question. I guess that social interactions in Utopian societies are suppressed because we do not see much interaction with other people beyond the basis of marriage. Wow! now that you mention it , it sounds kind of depressing!there is nothing fun to do- socially in Utopia's. Maybe it goes back to the idea of idleness if they are not working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I really overlooked this question until I read your post. Now that you mention it, perhaps one of the strongest utopian bonds comes from interpersonal relationships. I wonder why none of the authors whose works we've read so far haven't included it in depth.

    In this world where we are so linked, getting along with each other is crucial. I think about this, but not as often as I should.

    I think you've just slightly changed my definition of a utopia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you brought this up! Not once have we been given a Utopia that even mentions personal relationships. And why not? That's how we spend most of our time and dedication. Its very interesting that such an innate human characteristic has been so very casually left out of Utopia as a whole.

    ReplyDelete