Friday, March 1, 2013

Thomas More's Utopia


I got really excited about reading Thomas More’s Utopia, because I had read this book before, it became one of the reasons why I wanted to take this class. I love More’s Utopia because I feel like the ideas that he proposes in his Utopia work. I’m not saying that everything in Utopia is great there are some things that are a little on the crazy side( such as advising the sick to end their lives and killing off another group of people and having them fight their battles for them because they believe these other people are inhumane and barbaric). But I think that the solutions that he proposes work because it solves the problems in his society during his time and although many of his solutions might not feel very probable for our time I think that the solutions that he comes up with solve the issues of his time. One of the things that I love about More’s Utopia is that nobody wants for anything because everything is taken care of. Yes, one would have to give up their individuality and possessions  but wouldn’t that be worth it to not have to worry about where your next meal would come from or worrying about how you were going to pay the bills this month? Wouldn’t it be nice to live in a place where no one is jealous of what anyone else has because everyone would have the same thing?  I know slavery isn’t a great idea but I’ll be a brave soul and say that I wouldn’t mind being a slave in More’s Utopia. Not only do you get a chance to return to society but all you do is hard labor which a lot of people in Utopia do anyway and the slaves are taken care of just like all other Utopians(fed, clothed, sheltered) and aren’t treated horribly. I mean, it’s better than death, which would have been a penalty in More’s time. More’s Utopia is a place where other religions are tolerated (except atheism) and everyone helps each other and cares about each other. I think that is great regardless of whether they are doing it for recognition or not. That’s just human nature. As human beings we mostly operate on reward and punishment.  I’m not saying that More’s Utopia is the best or perfect I just think that it works. It functions well as a Utopia. Given that I feel like More's utopia can be best describe through this video. (the words are more important than the claymation).

4 comments:

  1. One point that didn't come up in class discussion that I was interested in hearing feedback on was how the land for Utopia was acquired. More states that "it was conquered by somebody called Utopos, who gave it its present name"(50). For me, the idea of conquering, or essentially stealing, land does not go hand in hand with the idea of utopia. If these people are so kind, generous, and peaceful then why are they morally okay with this method of acquiring land? Why doesn't this taint their utopia from the start?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like More's *Utopia* for many of the same reasons you do. Even the slaves live more of a "high life" than some people in our modern society. Like you, I wouldn't mind giving up a few things to make sure everyone is taken care of.

    I know many contemporary people really like this utopian plan, especially with our hindsight. I wonder how More's sixteenth-century readers reacted. How would the "common man" have felt if he read it (if he could read)? Would they have liked it just as much as us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gwen, I took liked reading More’s utopia, but I had some issue with the fact that More doesn’t particularly think that slavery is a bad thing. I wonder, if More had to be one of the slaves he refers to, then would his ideals still be the same. I think not. I have a hard time even entertaining the idea that slavery in any capacity could be a good thing, but for the purposes of this class, it never hurts to take a look at things from the other side. -Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the video - definitely applicable!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete