Monday, April 29, 2013

I Think I would rather go to "The Island" than watch The Island

This is not the first time I've seen this movie. and I do not remember it being this bad. I really tried not to nitpick this movie but I CAN'T. This movie was so bad.
Alright to be fair the action was decent if slightly dumb
the acting was actually pretty good
and I did like the visual design.
What did I hate about it? The story. Because it is so dumb.
This movie's story is dumb for an action movie.
(My reaction to this movie) 
It is so over the top, I admit I was laughing quite a bit at just how ridiculous it was.
The evil clone business mega-corporation was so evil I expected to see a scene where they kick a puppy or laugh maniacally while lighting strikes the building.
And the mercenary captain having a Heel Face turn? This was a guy who brutally gunned down people in the street without any thoughts of collateral damage.
If you actually think about it can you imagine the reaction in the real world if a small force did shoot up a bunch of police officers, with high powered weapons, helicopters, and machine gun motor floater cycles?
This would a national emergency. And a business man would want to be even remotely associated with that?
I would criticize the fact that every bad guy walks into punching distance when they have long range weapons JUST so they can get hit by the heroes... but considering their accuracy with those weapons I think its reasonable.
Even the Stormtroopers would be mocking these guys aim.


Now even for the "ethical dilemma  of this movie. I don't even know if we can really discuss it. It so comically dealt with its kind of funny. And so much bullshit and questions? I don't buy that the clones need to be conscious for the transfers to work. NO. NO. Not Happening.
Even assuming that they do need to be conscious why do they need to be educated? And if someone says its to give them something to do I don't really buy that. There is plenty of physical things you can get people to do without education. Hell they had TV and videogames.


And in some ways I do think that is a pity because there are some better stories that deal with a similar theme. One of the more interesting ones is Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. The book came out about the same times as this movie. The story of Never Let Me Go involves the life of one clone and her experiences. She was different from other clones in that she and her companions had a more privileged life growing up in almost a rich boarding school type setting. But the biggest distinction between this movie and the book is that the clones know what they are and their ultimate fate. They are conditioned so strongly that in the novel they never try to escape it. They do ask for extension from the people they believe to be in charge but they willingly accepted their fate. This was in many ways more creepy and interesting because while the clones did act in many ways like humans they did act slightly different in off-putting ways. It was creepy in the uncanny valley sense.

But most of the ethical dilemmas about organ harvesting cloning are kind of dumb anyways because as we are discovering we can grow/make organs. And it, at a certain point, is easy to make organs than it is to make organs, and the entire support system that uses them.

However as the last movie of the semester, its dumb, its stupid, its hilarious in those aspects, but I can not deny that it is somewhat entertaining. And since its the end of the semester and I honestly have enough to analyze/stress out over/pass/fail over I do appreciate a dumb action movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment