Sunday, April 28, 2013

Minority Nonsense

While my discussion in class was limited at best, it was because "The Minority Report" seemed to be more of an exploration of the fundamental fabric of the universe instead of the basic capabilities of mankind. Despite how much we would like to think, mankind is no more special than a rock, that plant on your desk, or the fluffy cat that seems to think that your keyboard is a more preferable bed over actual cotton.

Hey, speaking of cats, this minutephysics video will give you a great idea of what exactly I'm talking about, and why this movie drove me absolutely nuts.

Hopefully now you have a good idea why I had issues with the movie. It worked entirely under the assumption (as we assumed in class) that time is linear, unchanging, and worked based on certain likelihood of events. And, while I know that many sects of religion believe that there is a set "plan" for humanity, I'm not exactly approaching that aspect of the issue.

I'm just peeved that the movie didn't explore any other options of possible timelines. Many other theories render the idea gazing into the future (based on the linear theory of time) obsolete.

Say what you will, but the idea of suspension of disbelief doesn't really apply to this specific idea because it is so fundamental to the entire concept of the movie.

1 comment:

  1. See, I would agree if the movie held a little more weight with me. Unfortunately, because I didn't enjoy the film very much my level of caring goes down about specifics. I just get the glazed eye thing going where I become the perfect consumer and just take in without processing.

    ReplyDelete