Thursday, May 2, 2013


The Island for me was just an okay movie. In the beginning I was really interested because of the way Lincoln began his day. I liked the idea of the talking screen that interacted with him. I know we mentioned it in class, but it was never answered… a question that I had was “Why is he missing his left shoe?” I don’t think that this was ever even mentioned again throughout the movie nor was there any significance, but it unfortunately stuck with me throughout the entire movie. 

By the way that Lincoln acted I feel like this movie began to get really corny. He seemed like a typical young child who runs off to explore what he is strictly forbidden to do. He is represented as a human, even though the outside world thinks of him as a motionless sack of goop and organs. His ability to search for more, to go against the authority, and to set a plan into action shows he is more human than anyone could have imagined. I particularly like the quote that his ‘original copy’ said. He mentioned something about Lincoln being his insurance policy. However, it really was ironic when Lincoln was the one who out smarted the authorities into believing that he was the real Lincoln and living, while the ‘original copy’ was killed. This also showcases his human qualities. I just likes the idea that he outsmarted the ‘original copy’ when the entire movie before he was shown to be an immature and innocent clone.

I think that the idea of the lottery was awesome. What better way to engage and motivate people to be their best and work hard every day when there is a private island awaiting them? Although I thought this sounded like a cool place to go, I had an idea that it was too good to be true. I felt like this movie was a typical cliché utopian/science fiction movie, liked we had talked about in class. Flying motorcycles that Lincoln can suddenly drive really irritated me. Here was a character that had been so immature and oblivious to any real world situations that was now driving a powered flying vehicle and saving the world. What also really irritated me was the fact that he and Irene fell many stories only to survive miraculously. The use of technology did not irritate me as much. I was intrigued by the idea of the clones because I think that this is something people in our modern world would want to have. People want to stay beautiful. They also want to live as long as they can. With so many people getting cancer and being involved in accidents, I think that this idea of cloning for body parts would be something Americans would promote.

I think the real question when talking about cloning is the stand on moral beliefs. Is this clone a human? Is this clone an individual? It is a line that is unclear for many people, even in the movie. However, in the movie we see that perhaps these clones are more human and individual than first thought. If people did not think of them as such, why would the developers need to make the buyers believe the clones we unconscious and big blobs? People do want to be labeled as murderers. It’s a controversial issue that we may possibly one day see.

I could not stop thinking about the connection to 1984 that this movie had. “War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength”. All of the clones were told that they were free and safe from the contamination, when in reality they were being held captive underground from a world they were never meant to know. By the clones not knowing anything, they were safe from harm and confrontation with the leaders of the cloning organization. Lincoln chose to ask questions and longed to become knowledgeable. This created problems for him. He was a target then. In order for him to find peace and live the life that he always thought he had, he had to create war. Through the war that he went through, he was able to be free in another sense that he and all the other clones had never known. This was only achieved once they were all out of the utopia that had been created. I think the best part about the movie was that Lincoln lived and was able to fool the officials into believing he was the real Lincoln. He finally was able to find a place in a real world where he was accepted, and where he could think for himself.
 I was happy for all of the clones at the end. However, I already had predicted this would happen. I think that these clones are all going to have a hard time adjusting to this life. I think that the owners of these ‘insurance policies’ will get mad that their clones are running around trying to live normal lives. It would almost be worth seeing a sequel, but I’m not sure I’m ready to see the corny storyline of that either.

No comments:

Post a Comment