Friday, May 3, 2013

Closing Thoughts, End of the Semester

Hell yeah! Summer Break!

Would I have said that sixteen weeks ago, when I was dealing with health issues and the question of whether or not I would return to Hood for the semester? No, certainly not. The idea of living at home for weeks, without work or a plan, terrified me.

This semester, we've studied all varieties of Utopias, starting with some of the more aged texts, into more modern utopias that become more and more radical, upon the verge of dystopia. All of these texts, in some form or another, approach an issue with the society at the time in which it was written and proposes a system that fixes the problem. Or the text (alternatively) warns where the current system must ultimately lead.

So, since Utopians can be far off, or as close as the next day, it's important to think about how we act on a daily basis (that's the only way to reach towards the idea of a Utopia, right?). As we discussed, not having a purpose is terrifying. We need to do something, whether or not it's a single talent like playing an instrument, or exercising at the gym every day for hours, or reading twenty books, or staying up until four in the morning building a megalith in Minecraft. And, while I know these examples aren't great for my point, it shouldn't be selfish purpose.

So, with exams next week, I challenge you to think of a goal of something to do this summer. I don't mean something simple like, "Oh, I'll go swimming on fridays!". I mean something something. Do something substantial. Join your local Habitat for Humanity, take part in coaching a local Parks and Rec. team, or join a book club. Do something that, when the end of the summer comes, you can look back in pride and say, "I made a difference and had fun". So, what is your Utopian goal for the summer? Hopefully, not too many days indoors ;) ...

As for me, I'll be studying and preparing to take my MCAT's to get into medical school. My Utopian dream of helping people through medicine is far off, but I can get there one small step at a time.

1 comment:

  1. I think you've hit the nail on the head here. You make a great point, and I appreciate that you say we need to do "*something* something." Too often we (myself included) cop out of something because we are tired, we feel scared, or we think someone else will take care of it.

    But if it's not us to make a difference, then who will?

    ReplyDelete