Thursday, February 14, 2013

What's Wrong with Peace Love and Happiness?


If we’re being honest, as I was reading Augustine’s City of God, I found myself asking in mild annoyance “Why are we reading this?” I continued to read on and the words began to blur together in a film of love and peace and happiness. But wait, what’s so bad about all of those things? Initially I didn’t take the time to look closely and discover for myself how and why this would be included as a piece of utopian work. However, after our first class discussion I began to have a better understanding of what Augustine had in mind. Then, when I sat down to finish the reading I felt more open and comfortable with his ideas. 


With my own religious views aside, I strongly believe in many of Augustine’s main principles that allow people entrance into the Heavenly City. I believe that one of Augustine’s main points is the importance of “love of God and love of neighbor” (873). This turns out to be especially positive because it encourages us to love God, ourselves, and the people around us. Even if you do not believe in God and thus cannot find it in your heart to love Him, what could be negative about intentionally loving yourself and those around you? The emphasis on love and peace in this piece is what I believe allows Augustine to touch the believers and non-believers alike. In my opinion more love tends to equate to happier citizens. 


All of the love and mushy stuff aside, well mostly aside, I also particularly like that Augustine points out that all types of people are allowed into the Heavenly City. He explains that “While this Heavenly City, therefore, is on pilgrimage in this world, she calls out citizens from all nations and so collects a society of aliens, speaking all languages” (878). This is where I was able to make the connection that for me summed up the whole and purpose of this reading. As far as I interpret it, Augustine believes that here on Earth each person’s life is his/her own private and temporary utopia. Once we die and reach Heaven, as long as we lived our lives according to the rules of God, we will reach the ultimate utopia. Augustine doesn’t actually use the word utopia, but for sake of argument in this class that is what we will call it. And in my humble opinion, leaving out all of the obvious potential issues and gray places where things can and will likely go wrong,  who doesn’t want to live a better life here on Earth filled with love and peace and happiness just to reach an even happier eternal life? 





Image #1:  http://www.stuartduncan.name/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/understanding.jpg
Image #2: http://thebusinessgypsy.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/peace-love-harmony.jpg?w=604
Image #3: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgMF55gBjQf1Sn4D4hnaenH904Ny2T3ZeZbTa-K38G9o2oyT89mGHytDNfmrv6RZVyCsGF3iuJLyHfBnIc-3rBIPllr6lnS-n_aN3eMSMFyunyC4NAe_71Roz3wTXkCo8Hc__YotVHKuAs/s1600/heaven.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Hi McKinsey,

    I agree with you that Augustine does hit the nail on the head about eternal happiness and peace, where we can love each other without any worries.

    However, let me play (in this case, literally) Devil's Advocate. I don't personally believe this argument (like I said, I'm on your side in this post), but let me ask it, just to see how you reply:

    Both you and Augustine note that, in your words, all we have to do is live "our lives according to the rules of God." Now, this may raise many eyebrows. In your opinion, how are we to know 1)which God are we to follow; 2)what God's rules even are; and 3)whether we are even following them correctly.

    Needless to say, entire books (and 2,000 years of development in theology, for the Christian)have been spent trying to figure out the answer to these questions. I would like just to hear your thoughts about this dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with you and Augustine about loving God and your neighbor. To me (and many Christians), these are the first and greatest commandments, so I was really pleased to see Augustine emphasize them as such.

    I like how you focus on Augustine's idea that anyone who follows God can get into heaven, regardless of where they live or who they are. I think that's something that many people overlook these days.

    ReplyDelete