Thursday, March 7, 2013

Halfway There: Looking Backward and Looking Forward

     So we're halfway through the semester and we've already seen a massive array of utopias. They've included futuristic visions, shining cities, spiritual happiness, and island paradises. It's been interesting, and so I wanted to share my opinions on where they sit on the spectrum. (The diamonds are color-coded to the text at the bottom.)



     Now that we've examined all of these different visions, I think my own idea of an utopia is coming together. I want to look back at how my utopian vision has grown, and I want to look ahead to see if we will ever get close to achieving anything like it.

First, I'll give my definition of an utopia:
  1. It is not perfect. Instead, it is a better place than where we are now.
  2. It does not have to exist in some sort of time or place.
  3. It either has some form of written constitution of the people or is ruled by a benevolent autocrat. It is one of these two extremes, but nothing in the middle.
  4. The people in it must be involved in some sort of activity for the betterment of others. This action can be physical or spiritual, but it must exist in some capacity.

Now on to my personal utopia:
  1. Kindness is strongly encouraged. Most everyone participates in some sort of charity work.
  2. Vice is discouraged and frowned upon.
  3. Those in need of help receive it.
  4. Men and women work together to lead the household and society.
  5. Education is crucial, and most everyone participates in and enjoys some sort of thought-provoking activity.
  6. Some sort of philosophical study or relationship with the Supreme Being is encouraged.
  7. The leader(s) (either constitutional body or autocrat) are constantly reminded of the burden of their position. They do not fritter away public funds, waste time, or slack off on the job.

      So, the big question is: do I think any of this is possible? I think some areas may be possible, but others certainly are not.
      There's another pressing question: do I believe that we will ever achieve an utopia? At the beginning of the semester, one of my posts included a stanza from W. H. Auden's poem, “One Evening”:

“O stand, stand at the window
As the tears scald and start;
You shall love your crooked neighbor
With your crooked heart.”

I still believe in a utopia based on kindness and love, but another stanza from that poem comes to mind:

“O look, look in the mirror,
O look in your distress;
Life remains a blessing
Although you cannot bless.”

Do I think we'll ever be good enough to achieve a utopia where we help each other? No, I don't, mainly because I don't think we're than interested in doing so.

(Chart provided by the Dr. Heather Mitchell-Buck.)

3 comments:

  1. Throughout this class and looking at this post, only one thought comes to mind. The statement came from my 10th grade government teacher, but he said "We will never be able to live in a perfect world because people are selfish" so as of now looking at this , I think we might just have it as good as it gets. The world we live in now is probably the closest we'll get to a Utopia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your definitions of utopia are very thoughtful. My own, general, definition of a utopia would be very similar to yours. I would also add that, since it does not have to exist in time or space (like St. Augustine's City of God), it will hold a mirror to our own society that reflects back at us what we are doing well and problems we need to address.

    I am pragmatic enough to agree with you that it can't happen - Gwen's teacher was right - but I think it was also you who said during one of our classes that this doesn't mean we shouldn't try. I agree with that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam,
    I really liked both of your definitions of Utopia. I find that Utopia is a personal matter and subject to opinion. It seems to me that education and a strong moral foundation are the focal points of your Utopia, and I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete