Saturday, March 9, 2013

Imagination Isn't Exactly Reality

So, as a note, I think I've shot myself in the foot here by posting very infrequently by choice. The idea was to work on our readings, go through the day, and as I thought about these ideas of utopia .. I would come up with various themes to write about in my blog.

As is evidenced, not many themes came to mind. For the two posts (of two) that have had themes, they were somewhat disorganized, and frankly I think my system for getting work done isn't airtight.

Then again, what plans aren't airtight? The past readings we've had tackle various social issues phenomenally in theory (just like my organizational system does) .. however in practice, they both have flaws. I end up doing the most pertinent assignment on the list, while long term projects (like this one) get pushed to the side. The same could be said for Soviet Russia .. the "Communist Experiment". Everybody shares everything, and nobody is greater than another (except some are more equal than others).

The point is, there's no easy way to know if a system would work in practice. While I would like an ideal system where I could continually come up with quality content in an organized manner, it seems fairly clear that (while some decent content may be there) .. the frequency of each post isn't cutting it.

Similarly to Bellamy's world where the government is the monopoly .. there's always a downside, always a flaw in these systems of utopia. The theory is fine, and More may think that a secluded island full of superior members with perfect ethics and moral behavior would work flawlessly .. but things never go as planned. Someone finds a way to take advantage of a system, and things go awry.

For that reason (thinking now of unintentional societies) I'm glad the United States code of law (and frankly, most democratic codes of law) have the flexibility for change. They may not be the squeakiest running machines, and they may be held together by patches of tar and duct tape, but at least they've been tested. People have worked to take advantage of societies, and constant patching to current laws curb the problem.

Now. Where can I find some duct tape. My system needs some fixin' ..

No comments:

Post a Comment