Thursday, April 4, 2013

Brave New World A Great Place for Me


The reason I love Brave New World is because this place fits perfectly for me. I have made that abundantly clear in class, and want to give some background as to why I absolutely love a place where nothing bad happens. When I was eleven years old there was talk of an apocalypse that was imminent in the world, and that apocalypse was none other than Y2K! This transition from 1999 to 2000 was supposed to be the end of the world with dogs marrying cats, white turning black, and fish walking on land. Yeah, yeah I know the whole scenario is stupid looking back on it, but having been somewhat conscious of my surrounding world I remember being a little sacred. Everyone around me was, for lack of a better phrase, crapping their pants so I, being only eleven years old, crapped my pants along with them. Then New Year’s Eve happened, and guess what. NOTHING HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoodwinked by the media and by mass hysteria, and boy was I mad at that. It was then that I resolved to get back at the world of drama and manufactured hysteria sort of the way John did by just showing people an alternate lifestyle. It isn’t that I don’t care at all about anything; it’s more that one has to prove something is wrong before I will believe something is wrong. I mean I’m only twenty-four and it would seem that I have lived through three major apocalypses. The first, as already mentioned, was Y2K. The second was the financial crisis of 2008, and the third was the whole Mayan calendar end of the world prediction. All three times people were told that life as we know it would forever be changed and many would die, yet in reality life goes on as before and most of us are still here.

 How my experiences in this world relate to Brave New World is this. In Brave New World there is no drama and people’s lives are completely planned out for them. Further, they get to play obstacle gold. I’m a golfer in case you didn’t know. However, back to the point, I completely understand that you have to have sadness in order to know happiness and that it is often beneficial to face tough challenges, in order to get a better understanding of how the world works and to better improve yourself. My major concern is with what happens when you plan out something and it fails. Then what then do you do? The character John tried to get the people to change, and when they didn’t he eliminated himself. When we were growing up we all wanted to be something truly special, but for one reason or another life didn’t turn out that way. I wanted to be President of the USA, but now I know for sure that will never happen. We all make plans in order to reach goals, but in reality I think we should all be more flexible with ourselves. Something great could come along but if you’re so focused on reaching your planned goal then you may miss it which means you may have missed out on a great opportunity. To wrap up this chat I will end with something I once heard: never take life too too seriously; you’ll never make it out alive!     

1 comment:

  1. I'm a pretty easy, go with the flow person as well. For me to believe something, it has to be proven just as it does with you. However, having my life planned out for me since birth would have been terrible. I make plans for my self all the time. Sometimes I do fail, I go back change the plan and try again; or I reflect upon why I failed, if I should change my goal or try again. These struggles (succeeding and failing) help us become better, stronger, people. They let us be individuals. And therefore I think that there should be challenges in life and it is okay to fail. But just because you fail doesn't mean you have to give up.

    ReplyDelete