Wednesday, April 3, 2013

How Different It Would Be

Reading Brave New World I can't help but imagine what life would be like living in the world state. So many of our lifetime milestones would be erased: the first kiss would not be important, little girls would never have a wedding dress to dream about, no one would have parents to turn to for advice when they are confused. I just cannot imagine how miserable life would be. 



Living in a world where any troubles can be solved by a Soma holiday just does not seem like life to me. I have grown the most out of adverse situations; people would be so emotionally weak if they just took drugs to get rid of all the bad emotions. 

Death is one aspect of the world state that I look at as slightly favorable. I really hate how much sadness and despair is associated with death in our culture. Yes, sadness is a good thing, but I feel that it is more important to look at the good times that person had. Recently my best friend's grandmother passed away after many years battling cancer. I was sad, naturally, but I also was glad that she was put out of her suffering.

Don't even get me started on books. What is so wrong with books? I cannot find one argument with weight for why they would not be allowed. Yes, they draw out an alternate reality, but everyone needs an escape from time to time, right? When I'm having a bad day I can pick up a book and just let my mind escape from whatever troubles I am experiencing. 


Brave New World is an interesting read, but I hate mostly everything in it. I don't like the human engineering and the removal of any individuality. I hate the reliance on Soma and the avoidance of anything bad or unpleasant. If I can't live in a place where I can think and make decisions for myself, I think that I would rather not live at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment